Projects Funded for James Sayre
Farms, Firms, and Fixed Costs: Clustering and Returns to Scale in Agricultural Exporting
- James Sayre
- Thibault Fally
Specific Objectives of the Project:
- Document stylized facts regarding clustering of agricultural production and exporting in both the US and Mexico.
- Estimate the returns to scale in exporting by crop at the regional level.
- Develop a model which features agricultural value chains that can help explain the patterns in agricultural clustering that we observe.
- Estimate the model and quantify the importance of clustering and returns to scale for export patterns across crops and locations.
- Perform counterfactual analysis comparing the welfare benefits of infrastructure investment (e.g. roads) vs. more targeted investment in agricultural value chains.
- Make quantitative comparisons between US and Mexican agricultural exporting, illuminating some of the features that govern exporting in both countries.
- Publish the final article(s) in a top refereed journal, as well as a summary in the ARE update.
Summary of Results:
Aside from publishing the paper, all objectives have been attained. Most of the results are provided in James Sayre paper which will be made available here: http://jaysayre.com/.