Projects Funded for Alexandra Hill
Air Pollution Exposure and Agricultural Worker Productivity
- Alexandra Hill
- Tim Beatty
Specific Objectives of the Project:
- Distribute Fitbit activity trackers to workers on 3 strawberry farms in California.
- Construct measures of temperature and pollution from gridded temperature and satellite data.
- Merge the activity tracking and pollution data with hourly productivity of strawberry harvesters to examine the immediate, lagged, and cumulative effects of pollution on both activity and productivity.
- Obtain measures of activity and caloric exertion for agricultural laborers in California.
Summary of Results:
This project was significantly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. We were unable to access our field sites during in 2020 and 2021, which shifted the deployment of our data collection exercise until July 2022. During the grant period we acquired and developed all materials necessary to go to the field.
Accomplishments to date:
- IRB approval and all consent materials and survey instruments in both English and Spanish.
- Fitbit movement trackers were acquired and Fitibase software to manage real time data collection as well as sending reminders to participants was piloted.
- Code to create pollution and temperature measures during the planned intervention was obtained.