ARE Update is a bimonthly magazine published by the University of California Giannini Foundation of Agricultural Economics for the purpose of providing wide dissemination of research results and expert opinion from faculty, CE Specialists and graduate students in agricultural and resource economics at UC Davis and UC Berkeley. The ARE Update targets a lay audience of policy makers, Cooperative Extension advisors, agribusiness managers, and other professionals interested in agricultural, resource, environmental, and development economics.
If you’d like to subscribe to the ARE Update, please contact Managing Editor Julie McNamara.
ARE Update Vol. 23, No. 5, May/Jun, 2020
Special Issue: Implications of the Coronavirus Pandemic on California Food, Agriculture, and the Environment
- Co-editors: Ellen Bruno, Richard Sexton, and David Zilberman. "Special Issue: Implications of the Coronavirus Pandemic on California Food, Agriculture, and the Environment."
- Timothy Beatty, Alexandra Hill, Philip Martin, and Zachariah Rutledge. "COVID-19 and Farm Workers: Challenges Facing California Agriculture."
- Charlotte Ambrozek and Timothy Beatty. "U.S. Nutrition Assistance Program Responses to COVID-19."
- Michael L. Anderson. "COVID-19, Traffic, Travel, and Pollution."
- Commodity Briefs
- Brittney Goodrich. "California Tree Nut Industries Set Up Well to Handle COVID-19 Pandemic."
- Daniel A. Sumner. "The Milk Economics of the COVID-19 Pandemic."
- Julian Alston. "Smaller U.S. Wineries Especially Hard-Hit by COVID-19 Pandemic."
- Tina L. Saitone. "Cattle Producers Struggle as COVID-19 Reduces Beef Processing Capacity."
- Kristin Kiesel. "How is Fresh Produce Adjusting to the Public Health Crisis?"
- Yujing Song, Mark Bolda, Oleg Daugovish, and Rachael Goodhue. "How is the Strawberry Industry Weathering the Pandemic?"
- Ellen Bruno and Mark Evans. "Processing Tomatoes Benefit from Machine Harvesting and Storability."
Most Popular Articles in the Last Five Years
- Ellen M. Bruno and Katrina Jessoe. "Climate Change and California’s Water Supply: How Can We Adapt?"
- Olena Sambucci and Julian M. Alston. "The True Value of California Wine Grapes."
- Ellen M. Bruno. "The Economic Impacts of Agricultural Groundwater Markets."
- McCalla, Alex F. "Challenges to World Agriculture in the 21st Century."
- Colin A. Carter. "China's Agriculture: Achievements and Challenges."